[Klug-general] Skype

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 14:47:47 UTC 2009

> I knew someone would complain/notice about use of the word 'Skype' :-P
>
> There is nothing wrong with Skype in my opinion, it works, pure and simple.
>
> Colin

If only that were the case.  It works on Fedora 8, with a little trick
to get you round Pulse Audio incompatibility.  So I duly install on
Fedora 10.  No luck.  when I try to test video it barfs with some error
about trying to access X:0.

This is true regardless of whether I use the same RPM as installed on
Fedora 8 or the later one from the Skype site.

Mention this on the #fedora discussion group and you get told to go use
open software because no one can help with closed source.

The fact is, however, that what has changed is not Skype, but X.  In
Fedora 10 we have the latest new fangled relationship between X and the
Kernel, along with mode switching in the kernel.  Something that is
coming to everyone, like it or not I suspect.

'Just works': neither true, nor pure, nor simple.

MikeE