[Klug-general] Fwd: A request for stories for Jono's book

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 12:05:00 UTC 2009

Mike Rentell wrote:
> I couldn't agree more, and I thought I was alone.
>
> MikeR
> I used to have a handle on life - but it broke.
>

> rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
>> Seek that THOU Might Know surely - Sorry - I can tolerate bad spelling, if the meaning is clear. Even Shakespeare didn't worry to much about that ; but grammar is the foundation of the language essential for writing books!
>>  Just  a GOM with a bee in his bonnet!
>> Rich
>>

>> --
>>
>> Seek That Thy Might Know

One wonders in any case about the point of using the archaic second
person singular.

1.  If it were a quotation then naturally...  However, it does not
appear to be.  The nearest I am aware of would be the biblical "Seek and
thou shalt find" which is an altogether different proposition - and
frankly more meaningful.

2.  That it is a mis-spelling of They rather than a grammatical slip
substituting the posessive wodgamecallit (pronoun?) for the subjective
one.  'Seek That They Might Know' might be a suitable motto for a teacher.

3.  That it is an affectation, attempting perhaps to lead us to
conclusions about the education or philosophical elevation of the
author.  Undermined somewhat by the error that MikeR and Rich point out,
and also, I suspect, by the incorrect conjugation of the verb 'might'.
Perhaps someone with a more classical education than my comprehensive
school standard can say, but I have a feeling that it ought to be
'mightst' or 'mightest'.

Fun this, isn't it?  I wonder if the Windows 'Community' has this sort
of discussion.  Probably too busy installing the latest virus scanner or
picking through the remains of their registry.

Mike