[Klug-general] Problems with Ledger SMB

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 31 11:36:32 UTC 2009

Laurence Southon wrote:
> Mike Rentell wrote:
>
>>> It's better to use a Debian package where possible. You would be better
>>> to set apt to use an internet connection rather than DVD. You can then
>>> get the latest packages and do updates. Say if you want help with
>>> setting apt up for that.
>> I wondered if that could be a problem but haven't a clue how to do it.
>> Thanks for volunteering, I would appreciate a steer.
>
> No problem. You need (as root) to edit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Comment out anything already there - put a '#' at the beginning of each
> line, and add:
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-volatile/ etch/volatile main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile-sloppy main
> contrib non-free
>
> (beware line wrapping in this email - each line in sources.list begins
> with 'deb')
>
> As root run:
>
> aptitude update
>
> which will read information from those sources you've just added, and
> then run
>
> aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> which will upgrade all packages to the latest versions.
>
> Notes: Running update can sometimes produce errors which can often be
> cleared by running update again - it will do no harm, you can run update
> as often as you like.
>
> If upgrade includes a kernel update you will see some alarming looking
> output, then a debconf question - answer 'OK' - then you must reboot,
> when aptitude has finished.
>
> LS

Right, I finally got LedgerSMB installed and then when I point IceWeasel
at http://127.0.0.1/ledgersmb/admin.pl (it's on a cleanly installed
Debian Etch under VBox) VOILA! up it comes with a request to enter a
password. So home and dry?

No. There's a problem. It won't let me in with any password I've used in
the config process.

I used the default passwords as used in the installation instructions
which are POSTGRESPASSWORD, MYROLEPASSWORD and when doing adduser
ledgersmb I used the password MICK. Finally in the UPDATE users_conf SET
password-md5('MYPASSWORD') WHERE id = 1;

I've tried all them and it returns Access Denied in red letters.

So.....  nearly there but still stymied. Any advice would be most welcome.

Have fun at the gangshow later today.

MikeR