[Klug-general] Tweaking NFS parameters

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 12:37:49 UTC 2009

We mount an nfs home drive on the laptop regularly at home with no
issues.  However I mount it as a subdirectory of the existing home so
that the files are accessible - but I'm not aiming for a full roaming
profile as I want the laptop to be able to stand in its own when we are
away from the home network.

I also backup over nfs from one server to another and again have never
had any 'stability' issues.  One of the great things about the nfs
protocol is that it is stateless.  As a result you should even be able
reboot the machine hosting the shared drive during an operation and it
will just carry on once it comes back up provided the client is
sufficiently patient.

my fstab entry on the laptop looks like this:

florence:/home	/mnt/florence/home nfs	rw,hard,intr,user,noauto 0 0

The laptop runs Ubuntu 7.10 and 9.04 (though the 9.04 install is recent
so not extensively tested.  The server (florence) is running Fedora 8
with nfs V3.

All the other configuration had to be done on florence.  I had to fix
the ports used by the various bits of NFS so that they weren't moving
targets and then open the appropriate holes in the firewall so that the
laptop can see them.

Mike