[Klug-general] Wifi drivers

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 13:42:34 UTC 2009

Just thought I'd share some troubles I have been having lately:

I always buy atheros based wifi cards and in the past have used the madwifi
drivers which i have had no problems with:

http://madwifi-project.org

There are some new drivers which also support alot of the atheros
cards "ath5k" and "ath9k" which are now built into the kernel so no need for
an external package, I havent got a card that is supported by the ath9k so I
cant say anything about that. The ath5k seems to work fine at first, when
doing a constant data transfer, the speed is variable and mainly poor, you
won't notice this through normal browsing. I also experienced up to 10%
packet loss at some times, this all drives you mad if you are using something
like X11 forwarding.

But going back to using madwifi things operate normally.

Also if you can't find a good desktop PCI wifi card, just get a mini-PCI ->
PCI adaptor from ebay and stick a laptop one in

Hope this helps someone.