[Klug-general] it's sharing time

dan danattwood at googlemail.com
Sun May 3 20:29:01 UTC 2009

Colin McCarthy wrote:
> 2009/5/3 dan <danattwood at googlemail.com
> <mailto:danattwood at googlemail.com>>
>
>     Ok i figured it's about as finished as it's going to get for now so I
>     present to you the get_iplayer gui version 0.00001 beta rc1
>
>     http://danattwood.is-a-geek.com/content/getiplayer-gui
>

> Dan
> When I try and run it I get the error
>
> 'Rtmpdump not installed please download it and copy it into /usr/bin
> and make it executable'
>
> Now I have used get_iplayer on this PC and that works fine. Also your
> beta scripts did not produce this error.
>
> I googled for rtmpdump and downloaded from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=248826&package_id=303903
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=248826&package_id=303903>
> but it's not just one file but a whole folder full! Any ideas?
>
> This will make downloading the one progam I watch on the BBC just that
> little bit easier.
>
> Thanks
> Colin

You need rtmpdump, ffmpeg player in order to use the ch4 and itv
services. ffmpeg and mplayer you can apt-get and rtmpdump you can
download from the the same site you get get_iplayer from - it's a binary
blob that you download, put into /usr/bin and then make executable. The
pop ups are there to make life easier as i thought it was better to get
the errors out of the way at the start rather then have downloads fail
later on for no discernible reason  (this was actually the reason you
had some failed downloads when you demo'd the program to us in
ashford).  But in fairness they do need to be combined with some good
documentation which I have yet to write.