[Klug-general] My earlier plea re Skype

Alan @ COMM-TECH alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Mon May 11 10:07:48 UTC 2009

George Prowse wrote:
> You have no option but to set a password when installing linux, it is
> the first part of the security.
>
> When you boot you may see a list of options of operating systems you
> have installed or a message saying "please hit the esc key for a menu...".
> Hit the escape key.
> Go to the top entry.
> Press E, that will edit that line.
> Put "1" (without quotes) and the end of that line.
> press esc
> press b
> when it boots and you get > type passwd root
> type in a new password for root
> REMEMBER IT!
> boot as normal

This sounds like an eepc, in which case the OS may be debian and
probably use sudo. This means a root password is of no use (in the gui
anyway)

If this is the case then the password it is asking for is the user's pw,
it will not accept a blank one so you as user have to set your own password.

There is likely a place in the gui to set your own password, look under
administration, users but if there is none, then:

Open a terminal
Type passwd yourusername << replace yourusername as appropriate
 From this point onwards you wil need to enter your uname and this
password whenever you log in.
Then try entering that password when it prompts.