[Klug-general] [Klug-General] Saturday 30th May Dover Meeting

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed May 13 07:04:49 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 Fish <goldfish654 at gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/12 dan <danattwood at googlemail.com>:
>>
>>> That sounds  like as intresting,  topic, Things seam to have got
>>> easier but there is still that odd bit of hardware that is not linux
>>> compatiable or easy to use..... Maybe some ideas on getting wireless
>>> network access to work......
>>>
>> i think fish is talking about arduino, gum sticks and the like
>>
>> and i'm for one interested in hearing about them. it would be nice if it
>> could be reasonably practical though.
>
> I'd rather not do a talk on hacking wireless chipset firmwares to make
> them work, since it doesn't really come under the field of open source
> hardware.  That's closed source hardware being used by open source
> code.

Agreed, I was thinking more along the lines of a 5 step point of
checking you get OS compatible hardware before you spend money on it
NOT hacking it to work afterwards.....

> Arduino is a great starting point and "case study", since they are
> entirely open source (you can get the schematic and design your own,
> you can even breadboard your own if you like), and the development
> environment is build on top of open source code and is itself open.

Sounds very intresting.

> My society at UKC is a great example of people making good use of the
> advantages of the Open Source nature of the hardware.  I show  from
> the concept production to a real piece of hardware following it every
> step of the way.

Probably, would have joined if it were around when I was at UKC.

I find it more and more with Lugs that they have mostly have nothing
to do with Linux. But more to do with Unix /  Open Source. If someone
turns up with an expert knowledge of BeOS/GnuHurd/Solaris it some how
seams to be on Subject when its nothing actually to do with Linux.  I
mean we'll even talk about software that will work fine under windows
and if Microsoft produced a product called OpenWindows (With a Full
GPL Licence) I'm sure we would talk about it.

Perhaps I should open the window before I go mad.....

Peter.