[Klug-general] Network Switches

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:27:06 UTC 2009

2009/5/15 Daniel Subert <zm at zone12.co.uk>:
> What's the pattern for the switches? Are they connected in a star, bus
> or circle network? If star, replacing the main switch with a managed
> one may work.

Star give or take.

3 x 24 port switches
5 x 8 port switches

Most of the switches are plugged into the same 24port switch. but I
think there might be one or two which are not..... We also have 2 x
10Mbit Hubs that are used due to distance from main network. (They are
not over 100 metres but we got so much signal loss we found taking the
speed down to 10Meg made the link work......
My aim has been to try and ensure that each packet goes through as few
switches as possible.....
The problem seam to mainly occur with machine plugged into the main
24port switches.

I do have this feeling that swapping to a managed switch might fix the
problem. Since two of the 24 port switches are right next to each
other. (The other on the otherside of the office). I could swap
something in to there quite easily. If I can say it will fix the
problem and raise the budget.

Peter.