[Klug-general] Media server for college

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:57:38 UTC 2009

2009/11/27 Nathan Friend <nathan.friend at gmail.com>:
> Morning,
> The college I work at is looking to build a media server.  The plan is to
> record channels 1-5 24/7 with a short retention (5 days) then programs
> required for longer clipped out and put into a media library.
> Any recommendations for this kind of setup?  We already have the digital
> satellite feeds.  Particularly interested in decoder cards with multiple
> digital satellite inputs, and Linux compatibility.
> Cheers,
> Nathan.

Really should ask my Brother in-law on this one.

In theory MythTV should be able to do this. but as far as I know you
will need one tuner per a channel.

I suspect you'll want more channels than just 1-5.

MediaPortal has some interesting features (Its an OpenSource Windows
program (If that's not a contradiction in terms)) its meant to allow
multiple channels (Broadcast on the same frequency) to all be recorded
from the one tuner by some cleaver decoding. I've never as yet seen it
work.....

But in reality your going to need some good kit, I suspect a small
group/cluster of machines should do the job.

Peter