[Klug-general] Media server for college

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Fri Nov 27 14:42:29 UTC 2009

I believe MythTV will now record channels from the same multiplex from
one tuner, so if BBC1 and BBC2 are on the same multiplex, you'll only
need 1 tuner to record them both.

For digital TV through an aerial, BBC1 and BBC2 are on one MUX. ITV,
C4 and C5 are on another. So MythTV could record all channels from 2
cards, potentially.

I'm not sure on satellite cards, but the MythTV website has plenty of
info on supported hardware. I'd generally recommend Hauppauge.

You're also going to want to consider hard disk space - you're going
to need quite a bit of it to record 840 hours of TV! I think an hour
comes in at about 1.5Gb normally, so that would be 1260Gb roughly. If
you want to compress/re-encode the video to reduce the file size then
that will require significant CPU resources to happen in real time.

Karl