[Klug-general] Alan Turing Pardon Petition

Jeremy Hooks jeremyhooks at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:44:36 UTC 2009

2009/9/1 George Prowse <george.prowse at gmail.com>:
> It's a deviation from the subject of the ML. Have a look for the "L" in KLUG

For what it's worth, I for one don't mind this thread, I never knew
that there was a petition to have Alan Turing pardoned (and have now
signed it).  Okay it isn't about Linux, but it is technology related,
and don't forget there is also a U and a G in KLUG - if someone wants
to start a thread that they think is likely to be of interest to
others in the user group, that seems quite reasonable to me.  All that
said, I can think of a million and one topic threads which might cause
me to make the same complaint that you did (or atleast think it) - it
is a fine line (or non-existant, I'm not sure if there is a written
set of rules, just nettiquet).

Also, something you mentioned is that asking people to 'sign up for
things' is a step to far, (which I'm inclined to agree with), however,
signing a petition is quite different to signing up to something.

One last thing regarding James' original email, I'm not sure if the
following is factually correct:

 "Turing who, when facing prosecution in the UK for being homosexual,
committed suicide rather than face chemical castration. "