[Klug-general] Linux and Open Standards in Public Government Organisations

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:38:37 UTC 2009

nicolas diogo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i have joined a local government institution recently and i am impressed (if that is the right word) with the lack of open-source standards used.
> what i means is that everyone uses MS word 2007, and there is no interest in using alternatives such as openoffice.
> likeways, there are many database servers running MSSQL but none with postgresql or mysql.
>
> so i wonder if there are other folks reading this list that some experience with public government organisations.
>
> thanks,
>
> Nicolas

Actually and update to my previous post:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/

"The UK government has said it will accelerate the use of open source
software in public services.

Tom Watson MP, minister for digital engagement, said open source
software would be on a level playing field with proprietary software
such as Windows.

Open source software will be adopted "when it delivers best value for
money", the government said.

It added that public services should where possible avoid being "locked
into proprietary software". "