[Klug-general] Linux and Open Standards in Public Government Organisations

J Subs subs at firebox.nu
Fri Sep 4 08:42:37 UTC 2009

I contracted at the Ministry of Justice for a few months in 2008. All
Microsoft systems, running Windows NT and IE5.5, apart from a dozen
people! PHP and MySQL weren't allowed on the intranet for security
reasons (?!?!) so all the pages were hand-coded. Now _that_ wasn't a
waste of taxpayer's money...

I gave a few lunchtime lectures on portableapps.com, theopendisc.com,
Firefox add-ons and the like, and there were a few enlightened souls there.

To sum it up in one word: inertia.