[Klug-general] FW: Custom ATX sized heatsink

nic dan dungeons88 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:22:10 UTC 2009

From: dungeons88 at hotmail.com
To: alex at alexlayfield.force9.co.uk
Subject: RE: [Klug-general] Custom ATX sized heatsink
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:19:41 +0000

Alex
If you want to passive cool a cpu, you need a cpu that can be passively cooled. This is pretty much only specific low powered cpu's like VIAs, or laptop model cpus. However many value cpus can be cooled with a giant heatsink and a giant slow moving fan. The key is you only need SOME airflow, you don't need massive airflow if you have enough surface area.
Thermalright makes a few (massive) coolers that are meant to be run without a fan.
Just don't expect decent temps OR any overclocking.
Not worth it at all IMHO. - processors get as hot as how hard you make them work.....with a duo, you could slow down the clock
- underclock it (?), to reduce heat...
A good low RPM 120mm fan will do wonders for a decent heat sink [with good thermal paste on] and will make very very little noise. e.g.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=1040411&source=froogle
The only way you'd even hear it is if you had no other fans in your system.
The Core 2 Duo's work fine,(even moderately overclocked) with the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme cooled passively. It does tend to get a little on the hot side,  though it definitely won't fit a 1u case.
I don't know of a cheap/small passive for the Core 2 Duo.....

Aitch :)

> To: kent at mailman.lug.org.uk
> From: alex at alexlayfield.force9.co.uk
> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:37:35 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Klug-general] Custom ATX sized heatsink
>
> Hacksaws generally make things smaller in my experience :-)
>
> I should've explained what I am trying to do.
>
> Passive cooling of an ATX Core2Duo E5400 with G41 chipset & onboard GPU.
>
> E5400 = 65W max TPD
>
> PicoPSU 120W
>
> 2x 2.5" SATA HDDs
>
> Mobo TPD depends on what's being used.
> Intel DG41TY
>
> MTBF of components is rated @ 55degC so need to be within that bracket.
>
> Want case to be minimally sized (1U too) & incorporate heatsink. Like a Car PC/Amp.
>
> Heatpipes may be the way but trying to keep costs low.
>

> /A

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. Download Now