[Klug-general] Linux Softphones

Peter Childs PChilds at bcs.org.uk
Thu Apr 29 19:18:16 UTC 2010

On 29 April 2010 00:37, Stuart Brand <stuart at stuartbrand.co.uk> wrote:
> Whats wrong with skype?
>
> On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 11:29 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>> I'm looking for a good Linux softphone.
>>
>> Needs to be able to handle multiple calls so that call transfer works right.
>>
>> I'm currently looking at Twinkle but its user interface is very bulky
>> and it "does not look like a phone".
>>
>> There seams to be lots of soft-phones around, but very few can actual
>> handle call transfer right.
>>
>> I'm currently seriously thinking of dismantling Twinkle and changing
>> the user UI...
>>

>> Peter

Strictly speaking Skype is not a soft phone.

If you want to do voip properly partially on Linux your talking
Asterisk, SIP, etc.

Skype is a proprietary, ie Non-Open protocol with a good sales man or
two, Its a bit like using CompuServ in the old days, fine, so long as
you don't mind being shut in a box. admittedly quite an open box, but
a box all the same.

Peter.