[Klug-general] Mounting Android SD card on Ubuntu via USB cable?

Mike kentlug at norgie.net
Tue Aug 17 13:47:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:49:25PM +0100, Jake Subs wrote:
> I've taken the plunge and I'm using a T-Mobile Pulse Mini Android
> phone (less than one hundred ponies PAYG) as my main phone.

You spent £2,500 on a mobile phone?  Holy f***ing s***!

> It's painful, like using Windows 95 with a touch-screen.
>
> One of the issues I have is mounting the SD card on Ubuntu when I plug
> the phone in with a USB cable. Has anyone had any joy/experience/pain
> with this? The only volume that is mounted is an ISO CD image thing,
> with a load of T-mobile bumph.

You'll generally find that phones have several connection modes.  One
where it looks like USB storage, another where it looks like a serial
device that you can talk to in AT codes and I think that there may even
be a third.  As previously mentioned, you need to set the phone to
mass-stoage.

WRT charging, you also want to make sure that the phone is detected by
the OS.  The USB standard calls for a USB device to be provided with
100mA while it is detected, it can then negocaite for upto 500mA.
Hence, if the device is not detected it may take an age to charge.  That
said, your milage may vary, I hear the USB standard is open to wild
interpretation and also heard a rumour that at least one vendor simply
attached their USB power connector to the +5V rail on the motherboard.
If anyone is interested, I'll soon be selling USB welders...

Mike.