[Klug-general] September klug meet.

Karl Buckland buckland.karl at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 18 08:31:02 UTC 2010

On 18 August 2010 09:20, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wine might be a very good idea.
> I have installed it (both from repository and from the binaries from the
> WINE site) without difficulty and I have used it to run a couple of old
> games. Perhaps it can be included with mono (I think it's mono that is used
> to run some windows binaries isn't it?)
> If anyone has used Wine to run MS apps and had some success it could be a
> very good talk as many of us know of one or two apps in the workplace that
> we rely on and that get in the way.

I've used it to run some popular Windows programs, although some
products like Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/) add the
extra polish that makes running certain programs (like Microsoft
Outlook) possible. Even so, there are some incompatibility issues and
'gotchas' to be made aware of.  I think a basic rule of thumb would
be: The newer the program and the more it does on screen, the greater
the chance of it not working under Wine.

Obviously a few people on this list have some decent Wine experience.
I know Spode runs quite a few things under Wine (including some games)
and Karl Lattimer wrote Wine-doors, although neither are likely to be
seen at a meeting any time soon!