[Klug-general] Any help....

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 10:27:04 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Michael E. Rentell
> <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com <mailto:michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
>      This year we are putting a notice on
>     the CDs advising copying to a more reliable medium.
>
>     Not sure what that medium is though.

The British Library currently has on display works in early English
published about 600 years ago.  The medium was paper and a coloured
deposit generally based on carbon (lamp-black) or ground minerals.  They
last very well provided light is limited - which is the norm in closed
books.  They tried transferring it to microfilm starting in 1938 - but
have found that medium somewhat less reliable than the original.  Some
lessons of history, it would seem, have yet to be learned.