[Klug-general] Any help....

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 11:27:13 UTC 2010

On 27/08/10 11:52, Colin McCarthy wrote:

> Can't we just mark the radioactive waste dumps on Google Maps? I am sure
> future generations and visiting aliens will have 'The Google'. :)
> http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-08-18/

I doubt it.  My prediction is that within a decade Google will gather so
much personal data on s much of the global population that 1984 and the
Stasi archives will look pathetic.  The temptation to use this
information to control/influence people will become too great either for
the company or government.  People will rise up against the consequent
persecution/repression and there will be bloodshed.  The name Google
will be associated with evil, harm, damage, repression etc etc and
no-one will remember that it once provided some useful services.  People
will never again share their information/lives etc in such a publicly
accessible way.  Meanwhile the documented lives of the Pharaohs (who
were probably just as despotic) will live on in their alabaster jars.

Visiting aliens will pass by, turning up whatever passes for their
noses, saying "interesting life-form, but sadly pre-programmed for self
destruction.  Let's come back a bit later when the planet is
uninhabited.  Shouldn't take long."  Oh - and they will probably /like/
radioactive waste and wonder why on earth we spent so much time trying
to hide it.