[Klug-general] Meeting notes from Sat 27th No

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:37:25 UTC 2010

On Saturday 27th November KLUG meet at Mid-Kent College in Gillingham.
 Fourteen people braved the bitter wind and temperamental MKC entry
scanners to meet for random chats and a couple of talks.  What was
great about this meeting was two new people delurked from the mailing
list and came along.

Attendees and what they have recently been upto.

Colin – went to BarCampLondon
Dan – went to BarCampLondon
Paul Lawrence – helps Silver Surfers surf.
Peter – currently not working. Working on Asterisk setup as possible business.
Luc (first time attending) – waiting for fund to do PHD on computer
worms. Working on CentOS.
Ian (first time attending) – messing around with Linux for a few
years, working to get people online and using Linux.
Nathan – web developer at Canterbury College. Recently deployed Vshare
an inhouse YouTube like service for students.
Tom – retired and tired old command line dinosaur, doing some C
programming for amusement.
Stuart Brand – being playing with Linux MultiMedia Studio
Mike – retired, downloaded latest Fedora and going to move to 64bit
for first time.
Kevin – playing Second Life continuously.
Julia – tidied desk and found micro controllers so going to create a
tweeting door bell.
Paul Littlefield – breaks his Gentoo install. Still running MythTV.
Rene -

Tech Talk - Computer Aided Learning Tools:
Luc talked about his Degree course. Designed CLI layer that would
offer corrections to common errors for users coming from Windows to
Linux.  Discussion followed on using 'the magic box' that is a
computer.

Tech Talk - CakePHP:
CakePHP is a PHP based framework. Dan used MySQLWorkbench for
administrating MySQL, which people seemed impressed with. Dan was
going to do a demo of CakePHP, however could not get past the error
that CakePHP could not connect to the database. Demo will be redone
with a working system at another meeting.

Completely Voluntary Donations:
Once again we asked people for a completely voluntary minimal
donation.  We haven't had to pay for meeting locations, but that could
change.  We currently have £54.60, which we will keep some funds if we
are charged for Dover meeting location in the future.  As before we
will make a donation to a FLOSS project in the name of KLUG.
Suggestions for a worthy project will be ask on the mailing list.

* apologies for any typo's and errors