[Klug-general] Lexmarking

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:46:49 UTC 2010

Have you tried loading up the printer configuration/add printer stuff? At
home I remember opening the cups settings within Ubuntu and it said "do you
want me to search for printers on the network" I said "yes", it said "I have
found this HP network printer, do you want me to download the drivers?"
Knowing my brothers HP network printer to be on the network and ready I
clicked "yes". After a short while and a couple of progress bard I was asked
"Do you want to print a test page?", "Yes" I clicked with exuberance. And
behold, a pretty page of patterns came forth from the printer... From that
moment I was impressed with Ubuntu and where Linux has got to.

The morel of the story... Try the wizard under cups (If you haven't
already).

Cups documentation:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/cupsdocumentation

Failing that, see if you can access the printer by IP. It has a web
interface doesn't it? That is a good place to start.

There is a list of printers (and their level of support) here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro
<http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro>X4550
- Doesn't appear to be in it.

Look into mac support as mac uses cups, looking at google there appear to be
lots of people having difficulty with that model under mac (Lexmark took a
long time to get a driver update out).

Sadly the morel of the story is Lexmark printers (In my experience) are
painful. They are big fans of selling the printer at very low cost and the
ink at £5 less than the cost of a new printer.