[Klug-general] Mail Servers

Alan Buchel alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Fri Dec 17 13:17:12 UTC 2010

Antispam programs (such as Spamassassin) use a system of scores to
discover spam. A mail will be tested for everything from known spammy
phrases, missing/suspicious headers, to which server it came from. To do
this your mailserver is checked against IP blacklist databases for being
a known spamming address, checked wither it has a reverse DNS entry
(ensures it is not a dymanic IP) and SPF records matching the domain the
email claims to come from.

If I am interpreting the contents of my /usr/share/spamassassin
correctly, then spamassassin penalises incoming email lacking an SPF
record with a score of up to 2.5. Since some mailservers just bounce
anything with scores between 5 and 10, and /dev/null anything with a
score of 10, so I guess it is important to make sure the domain from
which you are sending will need an SPF record in yourdomain.co.uk's DNS
which reflects the IP of your mailserver.

Alan