[Klug-general] Very Big Projects with Minimal Staff.....

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Dec 29 22:39:10 UTC 2010

On 29 December 2010 15:29, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like the gimp project could use a hand:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/single-window-gimp-release-delayed-but-why
>
> <http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/single-window-gimp-release-delayed-but-why>Didn't
> realise that the developer base on the project was so small. I always feel
> bad with OSS that I'm not the strongest developer, still I try to do my bit
> by spreading the good word and providing help where I can to other users.

Once again this just goes to prove that the Best Project need the right
people, to work on them, not just any old people but the right ones with the
right ideas....

There is an old storey that the old BBC OS was written over night and was
one of the Best OSs of its period, some  of its best features still exist in
modern systems, although I think you may have trouble finding some of the
code still in use, (But I would not be surprised if its there)

The best projects are usually based on Small teams where communication is
easy and hence the likely hood of arguments are near zero. I mean look at
Debian, big team, massive project, moves really slowly mostly due
to politics and arguments.

I have come up with a few quick rules that I think mean good projects, (and
its not just software)

1> If it ain't broke don't fix it. (Its almost defiantly true that you would
be better starting again in this case)

2> If it is broke, think twice before fixing it; Always think if its better
to rewrite rather than Fix!

3> Use some kind of modular design and keep your modules separate hence, if
you happen to need to rewrite the wheel at least the brakes, steering and
saddle don't need rewriting too!

Peter.