[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 1 11:30:49 UTC 2010

Blake,

Whichever emailer you are using, presumably the one which comes with
Gnome, there must be a setup panel somewhere. In Thunderbird it is not
obvious because once you have set up the incoming and outgoing servers
nothing else seems to be needed. But when you use it for the first time
it flashes up a password panel and asks if that is to be used forever more.

The username you put into that must be the same as Virgin gave you. From
your email address I surmise that to be ottawa-can

The password does need to be used and that should be the password given
to you by Virgin media - for instance mine begins with a single
lowercase letter followed by a nine digit number.

The incoming server name for me is pop.ntlworld.com and the outgoing
server is smtp.ntlworld.com (I said I'd been on cable for some years).

Incidentally if you want to use the news server, then all your news
client needs is the server name news.virginmedia.com. Do not be tempted
to add a password. It doesn't need it and putting one in kills it dead.

Works for me. I'm not used to giving advice to the group. Normally I'm
here asking idiot questions - qv yesternight.

MikeR