[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:05:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:02:50 +0000
Mike Rentell <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com> uttered these words:

> Please understand that I need to be led by the hand through Kubuntu.
> Short sharp words like 'Just grummit oogle.conf' ain't gonna work
> -sorry.
>
> Anyone wanna volunteer?  I will try. There must be a reason for this
> Ubuntu mania.
> MikeR
[snipped]

The problem that you describe first appeared in the versions of Kubuntu
for the early KDE 4.2.x and subsequently (which were *very* unstable),
but its now been found to be due to a bug in Kubuntu rather than KDE
that affects wireless networking.

Its been solved (apparently) in the repositories so my advice would be
to get a wired networking cable and fix it on your router and your
computer and try to connect.  If you cannot connect, you've possibly
got a defective disk caused by a bad burn that's causing the problem;
if that is the case, I suggest you ask for a free disk from Kubuntu.

Once you have connection, then you can download the latest version of
Kubuntu via the repositories and your problem will most likely be
solved.

Because you can download any desktop you wish in the family of Ubuntu,
you might be better off getting the latest version of Ubuntu and adding
KDE to it via the command (in a terminal):

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

but there are a couple of distros forked from the Ubuntu project, which
might make the whole process easier: Super OS which you can download
from:

http://hacktolive.org/blog/2009/super-os-9-10-out/

or "Ultimate Edition" from:

http://ultimateedition.info/

Both default to Gnome but both have a more solid base system that will
make installing the KDE desktop even easier.

HTH

--
Graham Todd