[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 3 13:39:08 UTC 2010

George Prowse wrote:
> On 03/02/2010 12:20, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
>> Wise words. But I didn't know that - hence the misery. But I had always
>> steered clear of samba. It struck me as a linux fudge (a good one I'm
>> told) of a rotten Redmond network filing system. nfs works for me. I
>> taught myself from Mandrake/driva.
>>
>> I've been tied up for so long (well several days) trying to put this all
>> back to rights that I now have a list of unanswered emails a yardanarf
>> long (1.3716m for those of lesser years).
>>
>> So I'll give it all a miss and carry on with my recovered system until
>> the upgrade bug bites again.
>> Many thanks to all for excellent advice.
>> MikeR
>>
> Have you enabled NFS server/client in the kernel?
>
> CONFIG_NETWORK_FILESYSTEMS=y
> CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
> CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
> CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
> # CONFIG_NFS_V4_1 is not set
> CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
> # CONFIG_NFSD is not set
> CONFIG_LOCKD=y
> CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
> CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
> CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y

Oooh, do I have to do that in ubuntu to use nfs? Far too complicated for
the average working user.
Why don't it just work like it does in mandriva or pclinuxos?
If it is going to be that difficult to get nfs networking going, then I
don't think I will be trying ubuntu/kubuntu at all.
And I thought kubuntu might be worth having. Not if it is as complicated
as that.
Unfortunately I cut my computing teeth on COBOL and ALGOL   :-)
MikeR