[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 14:51:32 UTC 2010

Just for the record:

I have until recently used NFS from my Ubuntu laptop into my Fedora
Desktop as server.  The NFS server comes installed as standard on
Fedora.  However some configuration was required to fix the ports NFS
uses for its various bits and bobs rather than have them floating
around.  This is because Fedora also comes with an activated firewall,
and it is no fun at all trying to open holes in a firewall for things
that keep moving around.

The original Ubuntu install was 7.10 and as I mentioned in an earlier
post does NOT come with the NFS client installed as standard.  (As Dan A
says - they expect you to use Samba.)  Installing it was a simple issue
of using apt-get from the command line - but I'm sure you could use the GUI.

Finally my preference was to give Ubuntu a clue as to what NFS
filesystems you might want to mount.  That required a simple text edit
as superuser of /etc/fstab.  I added it as a non-automounted drive, but
allowed users to mount it.  I then found that by adding the mounter
applet to the toolbar you would get an option to mount it on demand from
there.  I had not issues with this when I upgraded to more recent
versions of Ubuntu, and I'm now on 9.10.

Not so simple when upgrading my Fedora from 8 to 12 recently and for
some reason I couldn't get it to work.  Then Oly pointed out the
simplicity of sshfs.  This effectively requires no installation or
configuration from anywhere as long has you have OpenSSH installed - at
least using Gnome and Nautilus. YMMV with KDE as I've not tried.

All I had to do was select "connect to server" from the file menu,
select a service type of SSH, and fill in the login details to the
remote machine, adding a bookmark at the same time.  Because Nautilus
will keep the login details in your keyring all you have to do in future
is use the bookmark to access the filesystem.

Of course this is only really suitable for occasionally mounted
filesystems and there is presumably some way of specifying an sshfs
mount in /etc/fstab.

As a result I've not bothered finding out what I did wrong in my Fedora
12 setup and I'm not using NFS any more.  This also has the advantage of
freeing me from keeping my user and group ids aligned on the machines
involved, which is a right royal pain on Ubunutu, which has used the
Debian convention of starting user numbering at 1000 rather than 500
like Fedora, but then hard-coding that value into some programs so that
changing it in the configuration files has no effect. Grr, only children
and Visual Basic programmers hard code values into programs.

MikeE