[Klug-general] Baffled by Kxbxnxu nxtxoxkxnx Gentoo

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Feb 4 09:28:46 UTC 2010

On 3/2/2010, "George Prowse" <george.prowse at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 03/02/2010 14:00, Dan Attwood wrote:
>>
>> don't worry it should be nowhere near as complicated as that. In fact
>> there are very few people that bother fiddling with the kernel now a days
>>
>You'd be surprised at how often helper apps fuck up and then it's me
>laughing at everyone else because i can actually get it running without
>network-manager :D
>
>Gentoo may have a learning curve but it teaches you all you need to know
>about your system without having to ./configure, make, make install
>everything

I started installing Gentoo early yesterday evening. I cheated on the
kernel and used genkernel to build a hardware-detecting version (with a
slow boot time).

Before bed, my system could not boot anything (wrong root=(hdn,n)) and
the grub screen looked like fuzzy snow (should not have told it to load
a splash image when I'd not configured grub for gfx).

This morning I fixed that and tried to load up the handbook in links2 to
see what's next. No installed browser. Still in console mode only.
emerge links2 and 53 other random packages which have now installed
themselves and I've no clue what - other than things like alsa (useful
I admit) and a sprinkling of X libs. Pity I forgot that links2 has an X
mode. Should have stuck with lynx.

The Gentoo handbook is now hanging half out the window and getting wet in
the rain.

Fun!

james