[Klug-general] grub vs grub2

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:22:03 UTC 2010

On 08/02/2010 18:18, james morris wrote:

> I've got a few linux distros installed on my hdds. Most would install
> grub, but some install grub2. Grub2 is the current bootloader on my
> system.
>
> This is just my opinion of course, but it seems that grub2 makes more
> work of adding boot entries - I can no longer just edit a single file in
> a single directory.
>
> As far as booting goes, I am just an average home user, I don't think
> grub2 is really worth the extra hassle that the new
> modular-configuration-features bring. I'm certainly going to go back to
> grub legacy.
>
> some of the irritating problems i've been having with grub2:
>
> (which i'm not asking for solutions to, i'm going to remove it)
>
> grub2/debian-testing still insists that /dev/sda8 is kubuntu when it is
> plainly the boot partition gentoo is using.
>
> grub2/debian-testing (upon issuing sudo grub-mkconfig) compiles a huge
> list of operating systems and kernels which streams down a full screen
> xterm. despite the fact i have only three installs.
>
> grub2/debian-testing when it comes to choosing a boot entry, ignores half
> of the boot entries it actually found.
>
> grub2/debian-testing has decided it will now tell me to "load the kernel
> first" when i choose a boot entry from the menu.
>
> grub2/debian-testing is actually far easier to just not bother
> configuring and just enter 'c' at the boot menu for a command line and
> type (hd0,8)/vm[tab] and i get the kernel i want to boot. then i type
> boot and it boots.
>
> it makes me laugh. grub legacy, i will welcome you back shortly!

This is where gentoo rules! After using gentoo for 6 or 7 years I know
exactly how to fix most problems when they occur on other systems. I do
hate the "hands-off" approach of most systems though, I often make
system-wide changes at the base level which ends up messing some crappy
tool they have made for such an eventuality