[Klug-general] Faversham Linux Users Group - workshops

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:21:40 UTC 2010

> By charging them for support? Why not just organise a car pool to the
> usual meets?
>
> You're missing the point

What Jake is working on is a short introduction course to linux. Regular
sessions to cover the basic needs of a user either switch from windows to
linux or with very little computer experience to begin with. These are not
aimed at uber geeks or power users of either linux or windows. Think ECDL
but with a Linux slant.

The usual klug meets probably aren't the right place for this. Talks on xen,
hackable laptops and ebook formats are way over the head of users who just
what to check their email and play a movie.  IMHO mailing lists and IRC are
also pretty useless for this kind of user (I think their are several lurkers
on this list who will agree with me). It's a different target audience and
one that is growing thanks to the exposure of distros like ubuntu and mint,
and due to the popularity of netbooks.

If further down the line klug gets some more members as a result of this
then even better and certainly klug will try to support and help out were
possible.

Jake is charging to cover the room hire as finding suitable free places to
meet is incredibly hard. Anyone who has actually tried to find a room for
klug will agree with this.