[Klug-general] Faversham Linux Users Group - workshops

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Wed Feb 17 15:36:15 UTC 2010

I was halfway through writing a similar email to Dan when his message
popped into my inbox. I'm surprised that people who support Linux are
so upset about someone planning to introduce people to it, cover the
basics in a structured manner and simply cover their own costs. If
someone wants to pay (very little!) for that, then what is the
problem?

This would have been extremely useful to me when I was starting out
with Linux, because frankly having to learn things, even if Google is
your friend, is a difficult and time consuming process. Anything to
condense that process is good in my opinion. It also probably means
that these beginners are more likely to stick with Linux than get
stuck and not know how to proceed.

Frankly, even if the charge was higher and some profit was being made,
I still fail to see the problem. People have to make a living and open
source should still support that; You can get it for free if you want
to invest the time, or you can pay a premium and get some help.

In my opinion, the attitude Jake has received with regards to this
topic actually supports the need for these kinds of workshops. A lot
of experienced Linux users are particularly unfriendly when it comes
to doing things in a simple, beginner-friendly way.

Jake, I may be able to come along to one of the sessions and lend a
hand. It'll be interesting to see how you do things and if I can give
anyone some guidance when they're starting out then that would be
great. Obviously if you can keep us updated with how many people you
have attending (beginners, that is) that would be great.

Karl