[Klug-general] Linux weather station!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 17:20:37 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 17:07, J D Freeman <klug at quixotic.org.uk> wrote:
> I have been thinking much along the same lines, tho put the plans on hold
> a year or so ago because the 1-wire stations were such a PITA to get hold
> of. Do you know if the 1-wire rain guage is available anywhere sensible?

I've pretty much resigned myself to building my own rain gauge using
the instructions from http://www.edcheung.com/automa/rain.htm
connected to some sort of counter.

> My thoughts for this was to run 1-wire over cat 5 to the patch panel in
> the server room, then convert the 1-wire to RS232, plug the RS232 into the
> spare rs232 port on my firewall, and then dump the data to a server in
> amsterdam, as well as providing basic local graphs, (It has to be
> transfered somewhere, the firewall has no hdd).

What do you use for your firewall?  I think most 1-wire stuff comes
with a USB interface.

> The other hurdle I am trying to overcome is where to put the weather vane,
> as it needs to go where there aren't going to be to much interferances
> from the buildings...

I think it really needs to go on the roof of your house if you are
planning to do anything serious with it.  However, I'm only interested
in the conditions in my garden so I will probably attach it to the
summer house (glorified shed built by the previous owners) roof
instead.

> Would be most interested to hear how your efforts progress.

I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered the WSI-603 1-wire Weather
Station Kit.  It can do temperature, wind speed and direction and
daylight level.  Should distract me from deciding where to put the
greenhouse long enough! :)

I'll let you know how it goes!

Take care,

Ben