[Klug-general] Linux weather station!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 17:43:08 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 17:30, J D Freeman <klug at quixotic.org.uk> wrote:
> AAh, that makes some sense, Maxim (owner of Dallas) make a 1-wire counter,
> which is what they originally used for this.

I was thinking of doing the counting with the PC, but that would make
much more sense! :)

> Its 1-wire, which means you can plug the 1-wire cable into a 1-wire to
> rs232 converter, which I have in semiconductor format somewhere in my
> electronics box.

Fair enough if you've already got the kit.  The WSI-603 comes with a
USB to 1-wire adapter and the machine I've got ear-marked doesn't have
a serial port.

>> I think it really needs to go on the roof of your house if you are
>> planning to do anything serious with it. [...]
> Aye, this is my thought.

... and there's no way on this Earth that I'm climbing onto my roof!

> Might have to do so as well when I have some money again. Must stop
> procrastinating.

Procrastinating is good - it's when I get most of my 'geek' projects done! :)

May resurrect my no-ip.org account and make the stats pages accessible
over the web.

Ben