[Klug-general] SNORTing the rabbit hole

James Blake jimmyblake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 13:58:24 UTC 2010

As network intrusion detection systems go SNORT produces a huge number of false positives, one of the worst in the industry.

We were getting around 20,000 a day here (we're running 2,000+ CentOS boxes), which why we don't use it any more.  An IDS is next to useless if you have to investigate each event to work out whether it is real or not.  You really have to tune SNORT rules to match your specific traffic profile, which is an ongoing task in the enterprise which has constantly changing patterns of traffic.

Host based intrusion prevention (checking to see what files have changes on the filesystem and log/event analysis) trigger a lot less false positives if the system has been appropriately configured/hardened.

Regards

James