[Klug-general] network lags - electrical interference?

Alan @ COMM-TECH alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Mon Jan 25 13:40:49 UTC 2010

Hey all, happy new decade.

On a network I am looking after, we are experiencing random slowdowns
between 0 and 5 times per day. They last between 20 seconds and 200
seconds each and bring everything to a halt. Then the problem disappears
and everything is fine again - just like that...

Have trawled syslog, messages etc on the server during those times - and
absolutely nothing out of the ordinary is showing up.

I think therefore that the issue is down to some sort of magnetic or
electrical interference, like a faulty lighting circuit or some leery
telephone cable crossing the RJ45... there is one place where I see a
lighting cable is packed into the same trunking as the RJ45 for a
stretch of about 5 meters.

Could this affect things - or does anyone have any ideas of how to
diagnose such a problem further?

Alan