[Klug-general] network lags - electrical interference?

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 14:41:08 UTC 2010

On 25/01/10 13:50, Alan @ COMM-TECH wrote:

> I think therefore that the issue is down to some sort of magnetic or
> electrical interference, like a faulty lighting circuit or some leery
> telephone cable crossing

Twisted pair is remarkably immune to interference.  Back in the early
days of local area networking for PCs when I worked for Novell we were
developing some network cards and comparing performance over ethernet
cable (which used to be coax) and twisted pair.  The coax would quite
often loose packets when the soldering iron was placed close to the reel
of cable we were using as our test.  (Those soldering irons that have a
thermal cut-out built in.) Twisted pair took all manner of abuse - we
could even run an electric drill with worn brushes next to it.

The fact that your drop-out runs for variable lengths of time does
indicate that there is probably a co-incidence with some sort of human
activity if only you can work out what it is.