[Klug-general] network lags - electrical interference?

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-electrical-projects.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 22:01:41 UTC 2010

Yes that's the point of twisted pair. Coax has two parallel conductors
and any simliar parallel conductors with flowing AC current can induce
current in the other (as Julia says - transformers and yes, regs say
separation of Band I and Band II class of cables due to induction during
fault events - a few hunderd Amp no mater how short a time being induced
into UTP could be quite interesting). Twisted pair appempts to stop this
parrallel run and generally does it. Don't often have a problem with it.

Regarding the problem I would agree and say hub/switch possible. As
you've gone Gigabit watch quality of cable and length and any possible
crap cables. If found you can generally abuse cable length of quality
quite a bit but one bit of gear that can't cope and there is little you
can do.

It might be worth checking cable termination as I've found some CAT5
plugs to look fine but sometimes just won't work in certain sockets.
Also if it's regular times then sling Wireshark on and see if it's a
broadcast or repeated retry of packet send/ack.

If you can get hold of one check the cables out with a decent tester
(not those crappy £10 boxes), I can certainlly recomend the Fluke range
as I've just recently bought one and it's already earnt it's way. :-)

Kev,