[Klug-general] database diagraming

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 15:49:01 UTC 2010

There are some plugins for eclipse, which I've not tried.

Avoid anything by Rational Software, even though now owned by IBM my
experience is that they are worse than stuff that I was using 20 years ago.

Although I haven't yet any experience I would have thought that the
obvious candidate would be MySQL Workbench - it's GPL and it should work
with everyone's (except Julia's) favourite database :)

It supposedly allows forward and reverse engineering between schema and
database.  In my personal experience that has always been of limited
value (ie for prototyping and early development only) but that was
mostly because DBAs responsible for the sort of large organisation
databases I've worked with are quite keen to eyeball the DDL and ask
searching questions about things like cardinality of tables and proposed
indices.  This is, of course, their job as they get to figure it out
when performance is crap and it helps if they have some human readable
stuff to look at as a starter.

Mike