[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 31 17:02:58 UTC 2010

Most of the Linux world, certainly the magazine I read, seems besotted
with Ubuntu - presumably for good reasons. So I am trying it out with
varying degrees of success. Being hooked on KDE (I really don't get on
with Gnome) I have duly loaded up Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. Printers
were found OK as was my cable (Virgin) modem via my wired router and so
Thunderbird and Firefox function exactly as required.

Everything that I want is now available and works fine, except
networking which leaves me baffled.

My very small network is:

192.168.2.1 - router plugged into cable modem
192.168.2.2 - kubuntu pc
192.168.2.3 - old pc for backup (happily running PCLinuxOS)

The old PC (3) is configured with NFS which my previous setup (Mandriva
or PCinuxOS) simply found with the graphical 'find NFS shares' tool
which then mounted the shared drive and file to the 'backups' file on
the main machine (2).

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this in Kubuntu.

Also, I have got VirtualBox running again because I have to use Windows
for an accounting program. That happily sees the Shared Folder under
Kubuntu. But it won't see the printers. Previously I've set up the
Windows printers as http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/PRINTERNAME and for
both printers that worked once I had enabled SMB Shares on the Linux pc.

I cannot for the life of me figure how to do this in Kubuntu either.

It must be available but not for bears of little brain. I would
appreciate it very much if someone with a clear understanding of what
needs to be done on these two networking problems would advise me.

Please understand that I need to be led by the hand through Kubuntu.
Short sharp words like 'Just grummit oogle.conf' ain't gonna work -sorry.

Anyone wanna volunteer?  I will try. There must be a reason for this
Ubuntu mania.
MikeR