[Klug-general] Ubuntu Freezing

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sat Jun 12 08:53:41 UTC 2010

I have 3 identical servers,

2 of them Freeze Randomly, which is never a good sign, Its also the
worse kind of bug to try and work out whats wrong.

They are running 32bit Ubuntu 10.04LTS currently but I've also had
them running 9.10 in both 32bit and 64bit modes.

They are dual process, dual core AMD Operon servers with 2G of Ram

The third is running PBX in a flash currently fine (which is CentOS
based), but I have this feeling if it were running Ubuntu it would
also freeze.

They freeze randomly usually when working hard ie install software or
doing real work, never during initial install. But its not graphics
related as I've had it happen both while running X and while not....

They are pure freeze ups no message on screen, nothing in any logs, no
flashing lights on keyboard, no network activity, etc.

What info do I need to get to the bottom of this, where do I start, I
must stress I have 3 near identical servers all doing exactly the same
thing so its not a one off issue.

Any ideas?

Peter.