[Klug-general] Website hosting panel

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Wed Jun 23 14:56:18 UTC 2010

On 23/06/10 13:06, Dan Attwood wrote:
> I need to set a web hosting hosting server based on Ubuntu. It will be used
> by students and the accounts/ webspace created and administered by
> non-technical staff. I want to use some kind of cpanel system to achieve
> this such as http://www.vhcs.net. Does anyone have suggestions as to which
> panel to go for?

Webmin or Virtualmin are well worth a look, free and OpenSource.

Or Apache mod_userdir would automatically make a website based on the
user's home directory, whenever a unix user is created. They could
access the web files via Samba or FTP. Webmin would allow non-technical
user administration.

I have that sort of setup running in an educational establishment.

Will the sites just be for internal use, or accessible via the internet?

Regards,

LS
--
Laurence Southon