[Klug-general] Now here's a funny thing.

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 2 12:30:15 UTC 2010

I managed to buy a copy of Paul Hudson's Coding Academy which includes a
copy of Ubuntu's latest offering with all the necessary dependencies for
MonoDevelop.

I installed it under VirtualBox and started lesson one. That produces a
version of Hello World which runs within MonoDevelop OK. If I then go
and find that little .exe program with the cli and, as advised in the
book, type ./ToDoList.exe  (name of file) it runs OK and displays 'Hello
World' as the book expects.

Then I thought that perhaps PCLinuxOS (the host computer OS) would also
have MonoDevelop available and it does so I installed it all.

I then repeated the short lesson one but when I came to inspect the file
tree under the cli there was a cunning difference. Instead of
ToDoList.exe it is listed as ToDoList.exe*  (note asterisk).

When I type ./ToDoList.exe it won't run and gives the message 'cannot
execute binary file'.  The only difference between the Ubuntu listing in
VirtualBox and the barefoot PCLOS listing is the asterisk.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong here. Two develop environments,
both version 2.00. Same program, one runs and one don't. Baffled.

All kind offerings gratefully received. I've gotta do something in me
retirement to stop the mind atrophying !
MikeR