[Klug-general] HDD - 4k sectors

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:44:49 UTC 2010

Hi, this is less a Linux question and more a hardware (which relates
to Linux) question.

On the BBC news today (So it can't be the latest thing in the cutting
edge of tech) there is an article about 512 byte sectors being
replaced with 4k sectors:

The article is saying that XP won't be able to cope. Old OS, new
hardware, old story.

Anyway, I can remember when looking at advanced options (I'm 80% sure
this was formatting related) that you could choose the size of
sectors.
Or am I thinking of BIOS settings for disks?

Can someone who is more knowledgeable on hardware than I am provide
some enlightenment or a link to enlightenment?