[Klug-general] OT: Combined Power and RJ45 faceplates

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-electrical-projects.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:22:39 UTC 2010

On 16/03/10 11:28, Mike Evans wrote:
> I've recently renovated a section of our house and did the wiring with
> the help of Kevin G (recommended).  I did have a look at options for

Why thank you Mike! :-)

> 1) Running power and data in the same trunk is a no-no, for reasons of
> induction and interference, so you want some separation between the
> cables anyway.

Yep don't do that.

> 2) Similarly mixing high voltage and low in the same back-box seems
> inadvisable so you would have to find something that provided the
> necessary isolation.

Yep although and like I said I don't want to bore, but high voltage is
anything abov 1kV. Even 400V is classed as low voltage. The correct
terms are low and extra low, but comms are not that extra low
anyway..... blah blah blah

> 3) A variety of products are available for separate wiring whereas
> anything for combined is going to be restricted and probably expensive.

Dado trunking is hideous to look at and around £10/m.

Kev,