[Klug-general] Linux Sound Programming

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:30:55 UTC 2010

On 21/03/2010 09:10, James Morris wrote:
> On Sun, March 21, 2010 06:43, George Prowse wrote:

>>> urrrgh, i've countered one over generalization with two more, duh.
>>>
>> Sound, with the exception of HAL and Xorg, is the most embarrasing part
>> of linux
>
> You've got to understand what the various API's were designed for:
>
> OSS - just don't bother with it.
> ALSA - kernel level hardware drivers and API
> PULSE - desktop sound integration - for that out of the box stuff.
> JACK - pro-audio sound server with real time low latency and epitomizing
> the unix modular way (ie connecting audio/midi ports of different
> applications together)
>
> PULSE and JACK don't work well together because they're designed for
> different things.

All of them, with perhaps the exception of ALSA seems like it was
dreampt up in someone's potting shed as an answer to a problem that
never should have existed.

All these fractions of applications are killing linux, you also have
people deluding themselves that more is better when in reality having
150 different ways of doing things just complicates matters.

Look at all the successful standards, everything from network naming to
HTML, and it is all governed by one standard which it worked out by
those most qualified to do it. If people want to add extra stuff to
their work that isn't in the standard then they are free to do that but
there is always the base.

Heh, base. That could so easily lead my rant round to the LSB. And
abstraction. What is the obsession every coder seems to have with
abstraction? If you want smaller binaries DON'T USE GCC!!!

*phew*, have I forgotten anything?