[Klug-general] Linux Sound Programming

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Sun Mar 21 22:09:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, March 21, 2010 09:30, George Prowse wrote:

>> ALSA - kernel level hardware drivers and API
>> PULSE - desktop sound integration - for that out of the box stuff.
>> JACK - pro-audio sound server with real time low latency and epitomizing
>> the unix modular way (ie connecting audio/midi ports of different
>> applications together)
>>
>> PULSE and JACK don't work well together because they're designed for
>> different things.
>
> All of them, with perhaps the exception of ALSA seems like it was
> dreampt up in someone's potting shed as an answer to a problem that
> never should have existed.

For me JACK is absolutely great. 90% of the software that is actively
developed and which uses JACK, is great.

Audio production/synthesis/sequencing/recording/tracking software on Linux
may not have all the spit and polish that the big name commercial software
all-in-one applications such as Cubase, Logic, ReWire etc have, but it's
certainly not something that's been knocked up in someone's potting shed.

> *phew*, have I forgotten anything?

gtk, qt, fltk, motif, lesstif, wxwidgets...