[Klug-general] Linux Sound Programming

Thomas Edward Groves teg451013 at freeuk.com
Mon Mar 22 07:29:08 UTC 2010

My point about books was originally on the
point that if I want to record a sound input
for 30 minutes and then have it stop itself then
where am I going to find out that arecord
will do that except by reading it or by
asking someone?
And given that replies to such questions don't
seem to be too helpful (Peter Childs is still
waiting) then contemptuous references to
documentation suggest that books are a better
bet.
Note: books don't flame.

As for knowing about argv[1]: in any of
my programs the first statement  is usually
something like this

if (argc < 2)
{
printf("you must provide <foobar>\n");
exit(0);
} /* failed to include argument */

In the programs supplied by Kevin Groves
(incidently thanks) argv[1] was simply used
without any check on whether it had actually
been set. A potentially nasty mistake.

Lastly one of the reasons for leaving Windows
was because the programming goalposts kept moving
and the documentation was lousy.
Linux is not much better.

Tom Groves