[Klug-general] easy/fast web design

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 12:41:30 UTC 2010

On 30/03/10 12:05, James Morris wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My partner is attempting to create a website using RvSitebuilder. She's
> getting quite cross already. It looks to me like a PITA to use (i've
> always preferred using a text editor).

It's a little way away - but my friend Matt, who works for Yahoo has
offered to do us a talk on YUI (Yahoo User Interface) and Web Front End
Programming.  This will inevitably involve Javascript, which will make
me feel slightly queasy.  It's currently planned for the next session at
the end of April.

My limited experience of YUI has been good:  Those clever guys (and yes
they are clever) have done all the frustrating work to make stuff that
works the same in all the common browsers.  Even if you are not a fan of
Yahoo (I'm not particularly) this is such a blessing given the usual
amount of screaming involved in getting anything but the most simple web
page to work everywhere.  You include the appropriate CSS and sometimes
script files, which can either be copied to your site or accessed from
Yahoo's super-fast-right-on-the-internet-backbone servers.  (I go for
the former as I hate relying on anything external.) Just their 'reset'
module is worth using on it's own as it turns off all the default things
in browsers so that all the other CSS you add has a common starting point.

Matt is responsible for the UK and Europe front pages on Yahoo so he's
probably as close to an expert as using this stuff for real as there is.
  If you have any ground you'd really like covered then drop me a line
off-list and I'll put together a list of requests which will help him
structure his talk.

Mike

Sorry Yahoo!  I can't bear the exclamation mark so I've saved them all
for the end !!!!!