[Klug-general] My Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop Configuration

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Wed May 5 08:50:37 UTC 2010

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop this weekend.

The install: From CD (Which I'll bring to the next Lug meet for people
interested) was easier and faster than ever.
Hardware support: It offered to download drivers and configure my
printer and graphics card for me, everything else in the kernel.
Look and feel: I'm used to gnome and the purple doesn't bother me
enough for me to change it yet.
Software Centre: Not for me, I apt-get from the command line most of
the time. But if you don't know what you are looking for and are a
regular person (as in not a command line junkie) then this allows you
to type in "image editor" for example and the gimp is at the top of
the list with a "more info" button which gives you description and
screen shot.

For the sake of my own reference I figured I'd post some notes on my
website on the bits I did after the install (to get DVDs working,
java, chrome, picasa etc...). I'm not sure if it is of any help to
anybody here but for the sake of it and the thought that I'd pass it
on. Flash 10 64bit is probably the most interesting part.

http://www.david-halliday.co.uk/?Linux:Desktop